Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Happy Birthday Bright Eyes

My little boy turned 4 today. He is really growing up! It almost made me misty-eyed to think that on this day four whole years ago, he joined our family. We have been richer for it!

If you see him around, don't wish him happy birthday yet, however. We are celebrating his birthday on Saturday because Daddy is away right now. He didn't know it was his birthday today and we didn't tell him!

This is the first year that he has sort of understood the idea of age, and the idea of birthdays.

On his first birthday, he spent most of his party screaming after waking up from his nap and finding the living room stuffed with relatives all looking at him.

On his second birthday I imagine he spent most of it running away or obsessively playing with cars. (I can't remember it!)

On his third birthday, he blew out the candles and opened the presents, but he didn't really get what it was all about and certainly had no idea of what was going on leading up to the actual moment.

This year, he understands that it will be his birthday soon and he will be four. It's nice to be able to start talking with him about things that are going to happen in the future, and have him kind of understand.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Happy Birthday! and well done Cec - it sounds like it has been a hard 4 years, but everytime I read your blog I am so amazed and inspired at what a great mum you are.

Cecily said...

Thanks Megan. Those are very kind words. Don't be so inspired... You can't hear the naughty words flying through my head at various times of the day... anyway, I can't imagine any parent not doing the best they could do for their kid!

Megan said...

I can hear the naughty words in my own head though ;)....
I find it hard to imagine parents not trying to do the best for the kids, but sadly it seems to happen